Virtual Private Gateway (VPG) function details
Virtual Private Gateway (VPG) is a functional component that plays an important role in using various services of SORACOM.
By using 3G / LTE network, SORACOM Air is a service that connects customer’s terminal to the cloud. By default, each device is connected to a gateway that provides connection to the Internet, and communication to any destination is provided via the Internet It will be. VPG, on the other hand, is a customer-specific gateway that is prepared individually according to customer requests. To enable / disable VPG, set for each group of SORACOM Air SIM. By doing this, you can switch VPG via communication by group.
Typical examples of usage of VPG are SORACOM Canal which provides private connection with customer’s system on Amazon Web Services (AWS), SORACOM Direct which provides private line connection with arbitrary cloud and on-premises system It is a use as an interconnection point with the customer side system when doing. By connecting VPG to your system using SORACOM Canal and SORACOM Direct and activating VPG with SORACOM Air group function, you can directly communicate from devices using SIM card of that group to your system It will be possible to route.
VPG is a high-availability virtual gateway composed of multiple nodes and has the following features.
- Partial range is allocated to each VPG from Shared Address Space (RFC 6598) of 100.64.0.0/10 and used for interconnection
- Even if the IP address used in the customer’s network is a widely used range such as the private IP address range (RFC 1918) etc., IP addresses can be interconnected as they are without duplication.
- Communication from terminals connected by SORACOM Air is NATed with the IP address assigned to each node, so a large IP address range can be applied for the device (the current IP address range is 10.128.0.0 / 9)
- Even when using a large number of devices, enough IP addresses can be secured.
- By enabling the Internet gateway function, it is possible to provide a connection to the Internet in addition to a closed network connection to the customer system
- It can be flexibly selected according to the requirements of the system.
VPG IP address
|IP address range||100.64.0.0/10 (Shared Address Space RFC6598)|
|Allocation method||It is assigned automatically. Currently, it is not possible to specify a specific IP address.|
|IP address changeability||Once assigned IP address does not change until VPG is deleted.|
IP address of the device to be connected via VPG
|IP address range||Default: 10.128.0.0 / 9
※ However, you can specify any IP address range by using SORACOM Gate.
|Allocation method||Default: Automatic assignment
* However, you can assign an IP address by using Gate.
|IP address changeability||Basically, the same IP address is assigned to one device, but if the IP address is insufficient for the device, the IP address may change.|
There are two types of VPG, VPG type C targeted for use in SORACOM Canal and VPG type D compatible with SORACOM Direct, which can be used according to the application. In particular, since VPG type D corresponds to VPC Peering used in SORACOM Canal in addition to SORACOM Direct’s Virtual Interface, it can flexibly deal with system configuration that uses dedicated line connection and VPC peering together I will.
VPG type and service compatibility
|VPG Type C||VPG Type D|
|Canal (VCP Peering)||○||○|
|Direct (Virtual Interface)||×||○|
For rates of each VPG type please see SORACOM Canal, SORACOM Direct Price List.